Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Bebop Reviews Goblins and Wild Horses

I liked our campsite at the Colorado River. No one was there, so I could just run free without a harness or leash. It was a little sparse in the lizard department, so it was not quite perfect. Also, the river was thick with silt - not very tasty. We departed and drove toward Goblin Valley State Park. It was a very scenic drive up through many layers of rock. We stopped at a spring called Hog Springs. There was water, but no hogs. They did, however, have a few lizards to chase.

Next we stopped at an area called Little Egypt, which is supposed to be a mini version of Goblin Valley, but with a white stripe layer in the rocks - at least that’s what dad told me. We were the only people and dog in the entire area, so I was free to roam and chase things. It was scenic and rated very high in lizard density. It was cool, but dry out there, so I drank a lot of water. We also posed for some photos with the funny rocks. 
 
Little Egypt area in Utah

More Little Egypt area pics
We then drove into Goblin Valley State Park and found our campsite for the next two nights. After resting a bit, we went for an evening hike all the way through the valley of goblins. It’s not as scary as it sounds. They appear to just be oddly shaped rocks. The lizard index was only moderate here. It was a very large area, and we were all alone for most of our hike. 
Goblin Valley

Goblin Valley
The next morning we got up early. Dad and I are always up early, but we had to get mom up and moving this morning. We went to a place called Little Wild Horse Canyon. I didn’t see any horses - big or little, but it was a wild hike in a slot canyon. I will caution you that if dad says it’s not a technical canyon hike, you should be skeptical. Ask his friends about their 12-hour adventure in Red Breaks slot canyon in 2017. Just because you don’t need ropes and climbing gear doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy. 

It started nicely with some very pretty colored rocks and a nice wide canyon.
Going into the canyon

Pretty rocks
I even hid behind a rock to try and surprise ambush a lizard. I was not successful - at ambushing or hiding.
Bebop hiding fail
Soon we came to a narrow curved section with water in it. You couldn’t see through the muddy water, so dad waded in and it got deeper and deeper - all the way up to his groin. He made a funny sound when it reached there. He came back and said he was going to carry me through. I don’t like being carried, but I really don’t like to swim either. We were most of the way through, but as we were coming out of the deep section, a hidden ledge rock tripped dad. He tossed me to the shallow end, so he could catch himself. His knee was skinned, but we were both OK. Mom came through next and made it fine - but she had the use of her hands and no wiggling dog in her arms. 
This section was deep and murky
 
I was glad to be out of there. Sometimes I had to scramble up a rock, but it’s easy for me. Dad said I’m part mountain goat - whatever that is.

Bebop the leaper

Later we got to some really narrow sections - even just the width of me - and I’m a skinny dog. We came to one chockstone, and I was able to slide under it, but mom and data had to chimney up and get on top to get over it. 
 
Little Wild Horse Canyon gets narrow
 
Mom had to climb over the chockstone
We went a little further and decided to turn back at a huge chockstone. Mom and dad could chimney up, but I can’t really do that - I’m a dog. We decided to stop and turn around.
 
On the way back, we had to cross the water hazard again. This time, dad went first by himself, then called me to come to him. I jumped in and had to swim, and I wished I had some floaties. I thrashed my way through and made it out.

When we got back down the canyon, there was a branch that went to Bell Canyon. We decided we would hike that to help us dry off some more. It was a very pretty canyon with a few rocks to climb over, but no water hazards - and it was not as narrow.
Bell Canyon entrance
Pretty rocks
That was quite an adventure, and we are all out safely. I did see a few lizards, but I’m going to rate these canyons moderate on the lizard index. Overall, I highly recommend Goblin Valley State Park and Little Wild Horse Canyon. Just bring your floaties or a small raft.
Taking a break on a nice ledge
 
Coming out of the canyons
- Bebop

0 comments:

Post a Comment