Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Bebop Reviews Kodachrome Basin & Cedar Breaks

In our last episode my hoomans we were debating about hiking to the Inselberg Pit (Cosmic Navel or Cosmic Volcano) the next morning. They were concerned about the road condition and the weather. I just relaxed and chewed on a stick. At bedtime the night before, the hoomans decided there was too much risk. We woke up the next morning and there were showers and thunderstorms just south of us.Dad said we would have been to the pit about the time a large storm hit there. It was a good call by my hoomans. Also, they let me lick their plates, which is a good call too.

We drove to Kodachrome Basin State Park for a two night stay. It was raining on and off through the day, but that was OK because it was day 16 and the hoomans needed to do laundry - it’s not all glamour on these trips. We dogs have sensitive noses, so I appreciate their effort to stay smelling good. I only have my blanket and towel, so my laundry load is pretty light. There was a nice laundromat right in the campground. It was a scenic laundry location.
Very scenic laundromat
We got a couple of trails done between the rain showers - and then my hoomans took actual showers. Again, we dogs with sensitive noses appreciate that. They had no connectivity, so they couldn't see the storm paths - they had to do it old school by looking to the sky. We dogs know how to read the signs. We don’t use the internet, though it would be great to be able to order some treats and stuff. We hiked the short nature trail and the Angel’s Palace Trail in the afternoon.  Also, I chewed on a stick.
Hiking the trails
 Our campsite was adjacent to a large chimney formation - sort of like the hooman foam #1 finger. The evening brought us some interesting colors and rainbows as the sun peeked through the clouds.
Our campsite
The next morning it was overcast again, but not raining. We hiked the Panorama Trail and had it mostly to ourselves. We didn’t see any other hoomans for over an hour. When we did see other people, they all wanted to pet me and compliment me. I’m very popular with hoomans. They either call me puppy (because of my size, trim figure, and bouncy step), or they call me old girl because of my gray markings. Mom tells them I turned gray to match my dad. They all have a good laugh at that one - except dad. Anyway, it was a nice trail. I got my paws very muddy on a couple of creek channel crossings, and dad even threw some sticks for me. In the photo with the skinny tree and rock you might see me running with a stick. One part was called panorama point, and you could see for miles (or kilometers for all the non US dogs) in every direction.
I'm the leader

Nice hiking - can you find me on the upper right photo?
In the campgrounds and on the trails, there are many dogs, and we met quite a few here. They were mostly very nice, though some get a little too playful and enthusiastic about the butt sniffing part. We do all enjoy sniffing in circles and getting our leashes all twisted together. One little dog was anxiously sitting in the driver's seat of his van looking for his people. I sit in the driver's seat and look too, but I’m much cooler about it. Overall, this was a nice park.

We got up the next morning and it was clear and 38ºF. I already have my coat on, so it was no big deal for me. It was a beautiful day. We decided to skip Bryce Canyon NP for the following reasons: 1. Dogs aren’t allowed on the trails; 2. It was very crowded; 3. My hoomans have been there before; and, once again, 4. Dogs aren’t allowed on the trails. Instead, we stopped at Red Canyon. I don’t know who named this, but it’s not red. I’m a dog with limited color vision, and it was obvious to me it was more orange and pinkish. However, it was very pretty, and we hiked up a big hill. Dad taught me a new word - switchback. I prefer to call them zig-zags. We did several nice hikes in the area.
Red canyon - I'm chewing a stick on the lower right
Finally, we visited Cedar Breaks National Monument. My hoomans said it was prettier than Bryce Canyon and with hardly any people there. It was high too - we were at 10,500 feet above sea level. Most of the stops were near the parking areas, so dogs were allowed to visit. It was indeed very pretty, and I give it two paws up.
Cedar Breaks National Monument
- Bebop

0 comments:

Post a Comment