Monday, October 23, 2023

Fall 2023 Trip Summary

Wrapping up our fall 2023 road trip. Our 2022KL Winnebago Travato (The Bebopabago) performed well for us again, but we did have one issue this time, which I'll detail below.

The primary impetus for this trip was a return hike to the Havasupai reservation in AZ. My permit was delayed two years when the reservation closed due to COVID. It was so nice to finally get back to, what I consider to be, the most beautiful canyon in the world. That four-day adventure has become my new favorite hiking trip of all time. It was also fun to be on the grounds of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta for 3 nights. 

I posted a few blogs during the trip, and there are numerous photos in each. And, I added a few favorite photos below as well.

Our blog site: https://westbrooktravel.blogspot.com/
- Trip Plan and Map
- Caprock Canyons State Park (TX)
- Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta
- Indigenous People and Places
- A Canyon So Grand
- Return to Havasu Falls
- Bebop Blogs About Sedona and Subway Cave

The one issue we had with the van this trip was with the Truma heater. We had 3 nights at the Grand Canyon. The morning after the first night it was a bit cool, so I tried to turn on the space heater using propane. I could hear it click and start, but then it would shut down after about 10 seconds. Fortunately, we were able to change campsites the next two nights to a site with electricity, as the lows were supposed to be near freezing. The heater ran fine off electricity.

We had plenty of propane and I checked the intake/exhaust port for blockages. I found a small wasp nest, but still had the same issue after I removed it. I suspect a bad propane regulator. Night temperatures moderated, or we had electricity at our subsequent campsites, so I'll address it when I return home. Everything else operated as expected. *UPDATE* Turned out to be the simplest fix of all. Fuse #7, which powers the propane detector and the solenoid valve, had blown. Slid in a new 5 amp fuse and all systems are go again.

I do enjoy data, so here are the trip stats:

Trip Duration: 20 days
Miles Driven: 3,007 miles

Average miles/day: 150
Time Driving: 62 hours
Avg Speed: 48 mph
MPG: 17.6 (vehicle calc); 16.8 (actual)
Gas Used:  179 gallons, average of 8.9 gallons/day
Gas Cost: $636 ($32/day) - avg of $3.55/gallon

A few photos from this trip:

From our boondock site at Bosque Redondo Park in NM

Caprock Canyons State Park (TX)

Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta - So Many Balloons
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta - Early Morning
Coal Mine Canyon - Elena kept telling me to take a step back, but I didn't fall for it.
Paul & Elena at Ohh-Ahh Point - Grand Canyon Kaibab Trail

Relaxing at Havasu Falls

Family photo at the Subway Cave in Sedona

- Paul

0 comments:

Post a Comment